The Engagement Coordinator’s role at Auburn Girls High School is to:
- Develop good connections with students to provide consultation, program tuition, initial mentoring and advocacy to support young people
- Seek local solutions through specialised community support for those students most likely to disengage from school early
- Promote active engagement and retention of targeted students
- Create and strengthen new and existing partnerships between the school, industry and outside agencies
- Link with the Local Community Partnerships, Youth Pathway providers and other local community initiatives to seek additional opportunities for students
The Engagement Coordinator assists students in Years 11 and 12 who may be having difficulty understanding their future pathway and may find that school does not suit their aspirations. Students are provided with information about TAFE, apprenticeships and traineeships which give students a taste of what these external pathways have to offer as an alternative to school.
The Engagement Coordinator at Auburn Girls High School is also responsible for re-engaging students in Years 9 and 10 by running programs through external organisations such as the Granville Multicultural Community Centre, Police Citizens Youth Clubs (PCYC) Auburn, Lebanese Muslim Association and The Smith Family.